Monday, January 28, 2008

Wedding @ Penang

I was in Penang during the weekend for Teh and Ka Siang's wedding.

Yes, I went all the way there but luckily this time, I no need to go there alone. I managed to get a ride from Oi Kuen and James (her bf).

What I can say is that the customs of the people of the north is really different from the people of the centre. I don't know about you but it is really an eye opening experience...

The wedding dinner was on Saturday and I managed to meet with many friends. My ex-coursemates that was there were Chai Lim, Oi Kuen, Yih See, Mee Ling, Phui Kuan, Fui Pin, Lian and Wei Hock, not to mention Teh and Ka Siang. So, altogether, we have about 50% of our ex-coursemate there. It can be said as the biggest gathering of Environmental Science students since we graduated back in 2003.

Just let me highlight some of the funny differences that I have noticed when I was there...

  • The restaurant provided newspaper for every table.
  • They cut the cake first (Central people do it later).
  • The first and second "offering of wine" is done with the couple on the stage and all the attendee sitting (we stand from the very start and before the offering, all related parties will be onstage).
  • They sometimes serve ice-cream as dessert (yes, you read it right).

The official wedding ceremony took place the next day and we are part of the brothers and sisters.

Not good at explaining what happened, I will list the differences again here...

  • They have two wedding cars (yupe, they have 2 and we only have one. Don't ask me why they have two as my Penangites friends also dunno why...).
  • The parents sent the groom to the car (Central parent, as far as I know, only help wear the blazer and that is all).
  • The drivers really drove slowly to make sure that the videographer can record the journey at different location (Central drivers drive at top speed everytime and the videographer will record the journey from the car in front of the main car, I did that once).
  • Groom bring the bride out of the room first before kissing the bride (central grooms do everything in the room before coming out).
  • Bride and groom have special meal together before leaving the bride's place.
  • Bride have to help groom wear a flower decorative and so does the maid and best man.
  • Specially prepared meal at the groom's place with catherer there to help out (meals provided were done by relatives and close friends of the family).
  • The take pictures of the bride and groom with everyone else (central only do that with family members).
Pictures taken during the trip will be post here by the end of the week.

No comments: