Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sweeney Todd

I went to watch "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" yesterday with my cousin and her friends...

Maybe I was disturbed by one of Tim Burton's (the director) previous movie, The Corpse Bride, but that does not stop me from going as I like Johnny Depp's acting. Going into the cinema, I was completely ignorant about what the movie is all about except that it is about a barber who kill.

I was expecting Sweeney Todd to kill using a pair of scissors but throughout the movie, I can't even see a pair of scissors anywhere... All Sweeney do is to give shave using his straight-razor where he use it to cut his unexpected victim's throat when they come into his shop for a shave...

Sweeney Todd is assisted by a lady called Mrs Lovett by butchering the bodies and baking it into meat pie. Yes, you are thinking what I am thinking, "Yan Yok Char Siew Pie" (Human Meat Pie).

The ending of the movie is really a tragic one... In the end, Sweeney killed his beloved wife that he thought was dead but not before getting his revenge on those who framed him years ago, and his throat being cut by Toby, the boy whom he and Mrs Lovett saved earlier.

What is really funny about the movie is the fact that Sweeney Todd can kill his victim by a slice through the throat as though he was a wuxia warrior that has high level of kungfu and inner strength, even though he is just holding a normal size razor... Well, I guess that the director is trying to tell that the razor that he is using is very sharp.

Another thing that I find a little bit too much is the blood flowing out from the throat of the victims... It flows way too much, making it unrealistic and funny but gross...

As the movie is actually a musical, it has alot of singing inside and even though I am not a fan of musical movie before this, I found that the lyrics are amusing and there is alot of dry jokes in it.

Enjoyable but after the movie, I decided to stop eating pie for a while and reduce my consumption of chilli sauce or ketchups...

No comments: