Monday, July 14, 2008

Bon Odori 2008

Whispers: Watching House M.D. Session 4... really addicted. Watched half of the session in two day... Think I am going crazy. :P

..................................................

Obon or Bon is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honour the departed (deceased) spirits of one's ancestors. Also called the Feast of Lanterns, it has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon Odori.

In Malaysia, the same event is known as Bon Odori Festival and it is celebrated every year in Penang and Shah Alam, selangor. As a brainchild of Japanese Expatriate and Immigrant's Society in Malaysia, the celebration is on a much smaller scale. Also, it is less associated with Buddhism and more with Japanese culture.

I am lucky enough to attend the recent Bon Odori Festival in Panasonic Sport Complex, Shah Alam and I have a great time enjoying the dance and capturing nice photographs of the event.

I have yet to download the photographs from my camera but I hope that I can do that very soon. Will try to upload those photographs as soon as possible.

No comments: