Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chinese Hungry Ghost Month

Chinese believe that ghost would roam the earth during the 7th month of the lunar calender. It seems that many strange things would happen during this month of Hungry Ghost.

My family got one experience this year and I am going to share it with you here...

It actually happened to my sister two days ago when at night she came into the living room after her shower and join my mum to watch the TV.

While watching, she suddenly asked my mum if she got see something. My mum was dumbfold and she reply that she didnt see anything. My sister comment that she see something black "flying" outside the house and not believing her, she asked her if it is on the floor. Maybe it is a dog or a cat. But my sister's reply really give her a goosebump. She said that the flying black thing is high above the ground.

Not someone who is scared of paranormal, my sister concentrate her sight to look at what is that flying black thing.










It turn out that it is actually a monkey climbing up the tree to get some mango for dessert. The flying thing that my sister saw is actually the monkey's tail.

We had a good laugh at the event....

HAHAHAHAHA

1 comment:

Hanxue said...

Its the Chinese in Malaysia / Singapore / Hong Kong got this kind of wrong thinking. Even in China there is no such superstition. In fact, 7/7/ (Chinese Lunar Calendar) is the most romantic day of the year.

It is supposed to be a festival of transferring of merits to departed relatives, to lessen their suffering. The festival originated from an arhat (monk), when during meditation "saw" his mother suffering in hell and being hungry because she was robbed away off food by evil spirit. When he ask the Buddha what to do, he was advised to transfer merit.

Although I love Chinese culture a lot, this is one of the bad ones I will continue to ignore and hope it will turn into a more positive form.

Let's have more compassion in the world, rather than love.

To quote a Sai Kong in singapore - HUAT AR!!!!