Tuesday, October 23, 2007

When My Grandpa Pass Away

Updates: I guess I need to change the title of this post to better reflect what I want to tell here... I may write more about my grandpa later when I have time. (Initial title: Grandpa)

It feels like yesterday when my grandpa left us to the other world even though it has been three years since. Yesterday marked exactly three years since he passed away.

I still remember cause I was the one nearest to him when he passed away. Not to say that I am extremely close to him but I am sure that i am his favourite grandson. After all, I am his oldest grandson and I used to be very close to him when I was younger...

I still remember my first puff of smoke were from his ciggarate and I drank beer from his beer can as well. Both also taste bad... I guess that is why I never smoke.

Grandpa would occasionally give my sister and I some money to buy foods from the Thursday pasar malam. He is not that type of people that would like to travel, preferring to stay at home all the time. But when it is about his grandchildren, he is much more willing to part with his money.

About a year before he passed away, he was suffering from pneumonia due to the ciggarates that he smoke particularly everyday. The whole family sent him into the a private hospital and the doctor was able to save him after clearing out all the liquid that was accumulating in his lungs.

After the operation, his health went back to the optimum level but he just can't stay away from the ciggarate that has been accompany him for so long.

About half a year later, he was back in the condition where he is not able to move from his bed. I felt that he struggle with life and manage to stay for quite a while before suffering several breathing difficulty. Initially thought that it would just be like the previous time when all the liquid accumulated in the lungs is removed, he would be okay again. But when the doctor show us the green phlegm that he took out from the lung, we understand that we have to take a decision.

The doctor advise us to transfer my grandpa to the government hospital because of there is nothing much that they can do to help him. Futhermore, the medical fee incurred would be very high and not worth it.

My aunt was not able to make any decision and so is my dad. In the end, I made the decision to transfer my grandpa to the TAR Hospital. I don't really know what other think about my action but I believe that I took the right decision at that time.

My grandpa was warded and my family members took turn to be by his side for three days. On the third day, I brought my mum and sister to the hospital and by the time I was there in the room, I felt that something is not right. My grandpa was connected to a machine that shows his heartbeat was showing a straight line and without waiting for another second, I rush to the nurse on duty for help.

They work around my grandpa for a while and when they emerged from the curtain, the nurse told me that my grandpa has passed away. My mum and sister went out to buy food and they arrived late that time.

Needless to say, I was the only relative that was beside him when he passed away...

My uncles, aunts and grandma arrived much later and everyone was darn sad.

From there onwards, we go around working on the funeral stuffs and that is another story all together. Maybe I would write about it later.

As for now, rest in peace, Grandpa.

No comments: