Monday, September 29, 2008

Hard @ Work

Whispers: I need to keep my mouth shut in front of one of my colleague. He would simply tell the rest of the world what I said and that include every single detail I mentioned... THIS IS BAD!!! He dont know when to shut up...

..................................

Working as an instructor at Skytrex is actually an easy most of the time. But once in a while, an instructor would need to spring into action in order to "save" the day.

I was stationed at the big net yesterday and I have to do the "saving" 4 times yesterday. 3 of it is easy job as it is only pulling the participants to the end point using a rope. But that "different" save yesterday is really a "hard work".

Working at the big net, what I, as an instructor is mostly afraid of is big size fella unable to continue to climb the big net towards the platform. As there is no way that we can lower the fella to the ground, we must get him to the platform no matter what.

Yesterday, while I was watching the big net, a super-size fella came and after trying to climb the big net to the platform, he declared that he cannot continue and would want us to lower him to the ground.

Since it is impossible to do so, I keep on encouraging him to continue climb toward the net but to no avail. Knowing that the other instructors have their plate full, I move up to "save" that guy.

Believe me that this is no easy job. As the super-sized fella was hanging onto the middle of the net, I myself have to move away from the platform just to reach him. Using my two carabiners, I move towards him slowly (it is really scary as I am afraid of height and it is about 5 to 6 meters above the ground). It has a while when I managed to get to him (thankfully, he was still able to hold onto the net when I reached him).

Using one of the carabiner, I locked his carabiner and began climbing back to the platform (I have to pull myself plus that super-size fella up and it feels like forever).

Even as I reached the the platform, my "work" is far from over... the super-sized fella was still hanging there and I have to pull him up. Luckily, there was another guy at the platform and with his help, we managed to pull him up.

I was completely exhausted and dehyrated at that time... Hope I wont have to do it again in the future...

No comments: