Monday, June 16, 2008

Taman Negara Extra - Leeches

Whispers: Went to pump my petrol for the first time after the most recent price hike... really feel the pinch...

......................................................

My last post was actually the last post for my Taman Negara trip but there was one thing that I must mentioned as without mentioning it, a trip to Taman Negara would never be complete.

I am talking about the all-too-well-known leeches that prey on your blood... Through a website, I found out that there are actually two type of leeches (brown leech and tiger leech) in Taman Negara. I have encountered one of them (brown leech) previously in Sabah and yes, they suck kinda alot of blood from me... It is easy to identify the kind of leech that bite you... Does it hurt? If it hurt, then it should be the tiger leech. Brown leech's bite does not give you any feeling... sometimes you would not even notice until after it fall off.

The funny thing about leeches is that I was not afraod of them even on my first encounter... In fact, I was fascinated with them and on this trip to Taman Negara, I was actually looking forward to get at least a leech to bite me but it never happens...

In fact, one of the guide actually caught one and pass it to me. I tried to let it bite me but after wandering around my hand for quite a while, it still wont bite. Disappointed, I let it go.

A while after, I caught another leech and to my disappointment, it, too, does not want to bite me.

Anyway, for those who want to go to Taman Negara but are afraid of all these leeches, get bottle of salt water with a nozzle ready. Remember not to cook the salt water as it tend to clot the nozzle when you use it... If you found a leech sucking your blood, just spray it with the salt water... it would come off in a matter of second...

2 comments:

syun said...

Haha..This is my first time I heard someone really want leech to bite him. Usually the more u want something badly, the more it won't happen..But the bitten area by leeches can turn up very very itchy which can even last for couple of months.

alex said...

Well, I guess what you say is true as in the end, no leech bitten me...

I was bitten by some leeches a few years ago but couldnt remember if it was itchy or not afterward...